This event features special guest Neil “Nail” Alexander beaming in from New York.
Using a standard grid controller as a musical instrument presents its own set of particular – and peculiar – challenges. We’ll talk about some strategies for setting up, manipulating and playing grid controllers geared towards getting musical results, including responsiveness setup, keyed & chromatic playing, playing in different styles and instrument emulation.
To attend you must register first. No Zoom account is required to attend, just the link you’ll receive via email after registration.
- If you’ve never been on a Zoom Cloud meeting read this FAQ for joining online events.
- Headphones 🎧 are highly recommended for all platforms.
- All times in this invite are Mountain Daylight Time (MDT) which is -6GMT.
- 7:00 Open Meeting
- 7:05 Announcements
- 7:15 Presentation
- 7:45 Breakout Room Intros
- 7:50 Performance by Neil
- 8:00 Open discussion
In a career spanning more than 4 decades pianist, synthesist and composer Neil “Nail” Alexander has made his mark on the international music scene, touring the US, Europe, Mexico and Canada. He has performed with successful acts such as The Machine, The Mahavishnu Project, Marty Balin, Corey Glover (among others) and performed with a who’s who of Hudson Valley artists such as Tim Moore, Pee Wee Ellis, Judi Silvano, Peter Furlan,Ted Orr, Jesse Gress, Blue Food, Jeff Siege Segal and many others, including local hip hop phenom Decora for whom he was musical director for 4 years.
Neil’s additional projects include the “X Ensemble“ (a contemporary Classical chamber music ensemble), the Woodstock based funk group “Cloudburst”, and “Mr. Gone”, a tribute to Weather Report. He prefers the name “Nail Jung” when performing solo electronic music, and is also active in Music Production, Theater, Modern Dance and Film. He runs the Ableton Hudson Valley User Group and teaches master classes in electronic music production. In 2015 Neil was awarded Individual Artist Of The Year by the Orange County Arts Council and is currently endorsed by Moog Music.
Next Streaming Event: Thursday Night Live May 21st on Twitch, Youtube, Facebook and Periscope. Check feeds for updated info. Links below.
NAIL Online: Lots of links!
Get The Latest News
Stay up to date on official Rocky Mountain Synth News, events, and notes from past events subscribing here https://rockymountainsynth.com/join/
If you are in a position to donate to help support the meetup visit this page to make a secure donation https://rockymountainsynth.com/donate/.
Notes from This or a Previous Event
I’m starting to add comments to the bottom of these even with post event notes.
- Notes from #87 Online Petting Zoo
- Notes from #86 Intro to Elektron Overbridge 2.0 with Mark Mosher
- Notes from Event #85 – The Appropriate Premaster with Steve Turnidge
- Notes from event #84 Sound Design with Ableton Live with Huston Singletary
- Notes from event #83 Intro to The ZOIA modular pedal with Mitch Lantz
- Notes from event #82 Breakout Session OBS Studio for Live Streaming